30 November 2011

Day 14: Castle Party! (July 16th)

Today we were set free in the streets of Edinburgh! On the way into town I saw many lovely stores (unfortunately most of them chains, but still, its not everyday you go shopping in Scotland!) so Dad took me shopping! Aaand I didn't buy anything. :( I was too intimidated! Allsaints Spitalfields, Burberry, Superdry, Desigual, etc, are all super expensive, but even the affordable, like Monsoon and Apricot didn't make any money from us! :( I regret it now.

For lunch we sought out the Elephant House, the 'birthplace of Harry Potter.' Several of our tourmates were there as well. I had a delicious quiche and their classic elephant-shaped shortbread cookies! The shop had lots of pictures of Jo writing on one of their tables and newspaper clippings about her on the walls.

After we took our pictures in front of the cafe, we tried to find a graveyard we'd heard of. This particular graveyard has stones with the names McGonagall, Moody, Riddle, and others from Potter. Unfortunately, we couldn't find it so we went down an extremely Diagon Alley-esque street. It had plenty of interesting shops, including one that sold very fancy handmade hats. It started to rain, so we mailed off our latest postcards, bought a couple of candy bars, and returned to the hotel to nap before the big party in the castle tonight.

I tried curling my hair again today. My iron is working again! :D I didn't start early enough though, so I had to just straighten it again :( Now it looks super wonky. I am also wearing my uniform!

At Edinburgh Castle, Karen set us free to tour the place ourselves. She gave us little scavenger hunt papers that looked like the Marauders' Map. It was really a map of the castle, and the margins had history trivia questions to fill in answers. I found all of them while wandering the place. Pretty much what I was thinking about the whole time in this castle was not Harry Potter (nothing was filmed here, by the way) but all the history! The fact that I was walking the same floors as Queen Mary once did was almost overwhelming! I went in her room!!! It was like I stole the TARDIS or something! Dad was particularly engrossed by the Honours of Scotland, which are their crown jewels. We also went into the dungeons.

For dinner there was a ham dish that was the best I've ever had, along with some weird tasty meat that I didn't catch the name of. During dinner, Karen gave us all Alivan's wands and had us make little pouches full of plants that were supposed to be 'magical.' Dad and I threw ours away because we don't want our luggage opened when we go home.

When everybody finished eating, we moved into the Great Hall for a little-kid-style story time, and then a wild party. In a corridor near the Hall I found a group of children all decked out in robes and ties dueling with their new wands. I got a pretty good shot of them!

The shuttles were slated to pick everyone up at 11:00, which is ridiculous. They should have sent an earlier one for people who didn't want to party all night, like Dad and me, because after a while it just got ridiculous. Fat people were trying to congo...

*shudder*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

I have an opinion. A lot of the time I keep to myself, but the times that I do let you know what it is, I'll be right to the point. You may or may not like it.