06 July 2011

Day 4: The Underground and the nerd campground

This morning I slept in. It was niiiice. By the time I was all awake and ready to go, it was almost lunchtime, so Dad and I just walked over to Sainsbury's and bought some sandwiches, nectarines, granola bars (for the theatre; they let you bring in your own food!) and smoothies. They were pretty good; I had a egg-tomato sandwich with a carrot-orange-ginger smoothie.

After lunch, we set off to find Queen's Theatre, where we would be watching Les Miserables at 2:30. We took the underground for the first time to get there! Queen's is also right across the street from Her Majesty's Theatre, where we're seeing the Phantom of the Opera. How convenient, right?

Since we still had a few hours till the show started, and since we were by Regent Street, we decided to try to find the Regent Street Apple store. By the way, yesterday, while we were watching Wicked, the Malfoy family and Matt Lewis were there for a fan meet-and-greet. I wish we had gone, but it is too far away from the Apollo Victoria. :(

Regent Street is insanely long, so we never did find the Apple Store, but instead backtracked to make our show on time. Mom had told me a revolving stage was used for Les Mis in order to show more than one scene, but I couldn't even imagine how incredible it actually was. It reminded me of a movie, because the actors could actually walk around for some distance without actually moving, and the sets would move so as to create illusion of a panning camera. There were even scenes in slow motion!

Phantom wasn't until 7:30, so we had several hours to kill. We wandered around, and I saw that one theatre was showing Much Ado About Nothing. I explained to Dad how we just had to buy tickets, because David Tennant and Cathering Tate were starring, so we did!! Dad asked for close seats because he can't see well, and the lady cut our price in half because he's disabled; we ended up getting seats in the second row for L20 each!!! AAHH! My heart is fluttering...

We found a little pub that had 'traditional British food,' so we stopped there for dinner. I had fish and chips and Dad got a meat pie with mashed potatoes. It was so yummy!!!

After dinner we tried to get back to Her Majesty's, but got lost in Trafalgar Square. We saw where the Deathly Hallows Part II premiere is being held, and saw all the nerds camping there in robes and ties.* I noticed that there was a pretty even amount of people in all houses, which made me glad, because in America I always see like 80% Gryffindor, 9% Slytherin, 8% Ravenclaw, and 3% Hufflepuff, which makes me feel sorry for all the close minded people.

Anyway, we asked for directions from a postcard salesman, and found our way back to the theatre, literally just in time. I won't even spend any time trying to say how amazing Phantom was. I was simply in awe of the set; absolutely incredible.

We took the underground back to the hotel and watched some weird science show on BBC.

Tomorrow we shall be going to Harrod's. Hopefully I can find some white leggings so I can wear the dress I got in France.

*Also, tomorrow is the red carpet premiere! Actors start arriving at 4:00, but we haven't yet decided what time we want to be there. I'll be in my Ravenclaw sweater!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

I have an opinion. A lot of the time I keep to myself, but the times that I do let you know what it is, I'll be right to the point. You may or may not like it.