25 July 2011

Day 9: Stonehenge and Lacock

Breakfast today was quite good. Many of these hotel breakfasts have grapefruit juice and huge field mushrooms, so breakfast is usually quite good. Also, I didn't have to pack this morning because we are staying here for another night! Phew!

In the coach on the way to Stonehenge, a storyteller told us a few myths and legends and the like, and then she had us try to 'divine answers' to yes or no questions using pendulums. I didn't really participate; I like to watch my own future take place, thanks. *rolls eyes*

Stonehenge is really interesting and beautiful and all, but it has absolutely nothing to do with Harry Potter. There are so many Harry Potter related places here. We could have stayed in Oxford and seen the library! We didnt even get to see the library! Oh well. I got a Stonehenge postcard. I like sending postcards.

After Stonehenge we went to Avesbury (why?!) and then to Lacock. Lacock is one of the prettiest towns I have ever seen. It has doubled for both Budleigh Babberton and Godric's Hollow. We got to see the Potter's house and Dad and I had lunch in the restaurant that Harry and Dumbledore walk past when going to where Slughorn's staying. Also, during our walk around Lacock, I saw a little boy, no older than three, hanging out of his window, hitting the frame with a toy hammer. And there wasn't a thread of clothing to be seen on this child.

Knees weak with laughing at the kid, we made our way to the Abbey. Our group hit the gift shop first, where basically everyone bought the same thing: an extensive guide to Harry Potter locations. Dad got the last copy! :O It was close.

Lacock Abbey houses Snape's first classroom, Quirrell's classroom, another one of the courtyards that I love, and McGonagall's classroom/Mirror of Erised classroom. Also, our guide tried to tell us that room also had the flying keys in it, but it looks too small. I think that must have been a set.

After the tour of the abbey, Dad and I set off to find the house that Slughorn used, but we never could find it. But we did find a neast old graveyard with all sorts of wacky crumbling headstones.

Back in Oxford, we had free time to shop. I found some lovely boutiques, but they were closing almost as soon as we walked in so I didn't get anything. :( The stores here all close early.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

I have an opinion. A lot of the time I keep to myself, but the times that I do let you know what it is, I'll be right to the point. You may or may not like it.